Are you tired of your glasses or contacts and considering LASIK for a life-changing vision correction? But wait, have you given a thought to the potential costs associated with it? The thought of LASIK can be exciting but its cost can often leave potential patients in a quandary. In this comprehensive guide, we’re going to unravel the real costs behind LASIK surgery and what factors contribute to these costs. Read on to gain a clear perspective on LASIK costs and determine whether it fits into your budget or not. Let’s dive right in!
What Is LASIK?
LASIK, or Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis, is a revolutionary procedure that has changed the lives of millions around the globe. It’s a type of refractive eye surgery that aims to correct common vision problems like myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. The procedure involves reshaping the cornea — the clear, front part of your eye — so that light entering your eye can be properly focused onto the retina. The result? Clearer, sharper vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses!
But just as with any other medical procedure, LASIK comes with a cost. The cost of LASIK can vary considerably depending on several factors. We understand that the cost is a significant consideration for many potential patients, so in the coming sections, we’ll break down these factors in detail to provide a comprehensive understanding of LASIK costs.
The Average Cost of LASIK
When it comes to LASIK surgery, costs can vary considerably. To give you a general idea, the average cost of LASIK surgery in India is between INR 70,000 and INR 1,000,000 per eye. This significant variation in price is brought on by a number of elements, including the kind of LASIK procedure, the technology utilized, the surgeon’s experience, and even the patient’s location. Remember, this is an average estimate and the actual cost can either be lower or higher based on these factors.
Before you can have LASIK surgery, you’ll need a detailed eye examination and consultation. This is essential to determine your eligibility for the procedure and to plan the surgery according to your specific needs. The cost for this initial examination can range from INR 1,500 to INR 3,000. This may include tests for corneal thickness, pupil dilation, refraction, and eye pressure, among others.
The bulk of your LASIK expenditure will be the surgery cost. This includes the surgeon’s fees, the use of the LASIK technology, hospital charges, and any consumables used during the procedure. The cost here can vary considerably based on the type of LASIK procedure you opt for, the expertise of the surgeon, and the technology used. For example, bladeless LASIK, which uses advanced technology for a more precise surgery, tends to cost more than traditional LASIK. Typically, this cost could range anywhere between INR 70,000 to INR 1,00,000 per eye.
After the surgery, you’ll have follow-up visits to the surgeon to monitor your healing process and ensure the success of the surgery. These visits, usually included in the total LASIK cost, are critical to address any complications or concerns that may arise post-surgery. Additionally, you may need to spend on medications like antibiotic drops or artificial tears to aid in the healing process. While these costs are often minimal compared to the surgery cost, they are still worth considering in your overall LASIK budget.
Remember, the costs mentioned here are average estimates and the actual costs can vary based on individual circumstances and choices. It’s always a good idea to discuss all potential costs with your surgeon or LASIK center during your initial consultation.
What Is LASIK Eye Surgery Cost?
Delhi, being a major hub for medical facilities in India, offers a wide range of options for LASIK surgery. Let’s break down the costs for different types of LASIK surgeries in Delhi.
- Bladeless LASIK – As one of the latest advancements in LASIK technology, Bladeless LASIK, uses a femtosecond laser instead of a microkeratome blade to create the corneal flap. The cost of Bladeless LASIK in Delhi can range from INR 90,000 to INR 1,20,000 per eye.
- SBK Thin Flap LASIK Surgery – Sub-Bowman Keratomileusis (SBK) Thin Flap LASIK is a more advanced form of conventional LASIK, creating a thinner corneal flap which helps to reduce post-operative dry eye symptoms. The cost for SBK Thin Flap LASIK Surgery in Delhi can vary between INR 80,000 to INR 1,00,000 per eye.
- SMILE Laser Eye Surgery – Small Incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE) is a minimally invasive procedure with a quick recovery time. It’s a great option for those with thinner corneas, dry eyes, or contact sports players. The cost for SMILE Laser Eye Surgery in Delhi can range from INR 1,00,000 to INR 1,50,000 per eye.
- Contoura Vision LASIK Surgery – Contoura Vision LASIK Surgery is a topography-guided LASIK procedure that provides a more personalized treatment by mapping 22,000 unique points on the cornea. The cost for this advanced procedure in Delhi is typically higher, ranging between INR 1,00,000 to INR 1,50,000 per eye.
- Standard LASIK Eye Surgery – Standard LASIK Eye Surgery is the most commonly performed type of LASIK surgery. The cost of Standard LASIK Eye Surgery in Delhi is typically lower, ranging from INR 30,000 to INR 50,000 per eye.
Factors Determining the Cost of LASIK
When it comes to the cost of LASIK, several factors come into play.
- Type of LASIK Surgery – There are several types of LASIK surgeries, including standard LASIK, custom LASIK, and bladeless LASIK, each with different costs.
- Surgeon’s Experience – The experience and reputation of the surgeon can significantly influence the cost. More experienced surgeons tend to charge more.
- Geographical Location – The cost of living in your area can also affect the price of LASIK surgery. Areas with a higher cost of living generally have higher LASIK costs.
- Technology Used – The type of technology used during the procedure can also influence the cost. More advanced technology often leads to a higher cost.
Is LASIK Eye Surgery Included in Health Insurance Coverage?
When it comes to LASIK eye surgery and health insurance, the answer is, unfortunately, usually no. In India, most health insurance companies consider LASIK as a cosmetic or elective procedure, and hence, it is not typically covered under standard health insurance policies. This is because LASIK is not viewed as a medically necessary procedure, given that vision can be corrected with other means such as glasses or contact lenses.
However, there can be exceptions. Some insurance providers may offer partial coverage or discounts for LASIK under certain conditions or through special health plans.
LASIK surgery can be a life-changing decision, freeing you from the daily hassle of glasses or contact lenses. However, the cost of LASIK can be a concern for many potential patients. EyeMantra, a leading eye care center in Delhi, offers the most advanced LASIK options, including PRK, Femto Lasik, SMILE surgery, Standard lasik, ICL and Contoura vision. If you have any questions about Lasik surgery in Delhi, Lasik surgery cost and Lasik procedure, feel free to reach out to EyeMantra at 9711116605 or [email protected].