Vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism can impact daily life and limit certain activities. Fortunately, LASIK (Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis) has been a popular and effective option for correcting vision for many years. In this blog, we will focus on Custom LASIK, an advanced type of LASIK. We will explore its procedure, cost, advantages, disadvantages, and suitability of Custom LASIK, providing important information for those considering this type of laser eye surgery.
What Is Custom LASIK?
Custom LASIK (C-LASIK), also known as wavefront-guided LASIK, is a type of laser eye surgery that uses advanced mapping technology to create a personalized treatment plan for each patient. The mapping technology creates a detailed 3D map of the patient’s cornea, allowing for a more precise and customized laser treatment. This type of LASIK can correct not only nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism, but also higher-order aberrations that can cause visual distortions.
Procedure Of Custom LASIK Surgery
The procedure of C-LASIK surgery typically follows these steps:
- An eye surgeon will start by numbing the eye with eye drops and create a thin flap in the cornea using a laser or a microkeratome blade.
- The surgeon will then use a wavefront scanner to create a 3D map of the eye. He will identify any irregularities that he will correct.
- The surgeon will use a laser to reshape the cornea based on the customized treatment plan created from the wavefront scan.
- After the cornea has been reshaped, the flap is carefully placed back into position to cover the treated area, and the surgery is complete.
- The patient will be given eye drops to prevent infection and reduce inflammation and may need to wear a protective shield over the eye for a few days while it heals.
The entire procedure typically takes about 10-15 minutes per eye, and most patients can return to their normal activities within a day or two after the surgery.
Advantages Of Custom LASIK Over Others
The advantages of C-LASIK over traditional LASIK or other forms of vision correction surgery are:
- Personalized Treatment: Custom LASIK uses wavefront technology to create a personalized treatment plan for each patient, ensuring that the surgery addresses the unique imperfections in their eyes.
- Improved Vision Quality: The customized treatment plan allows for more precise corrections, resulting in better visual acuity and fewer visual distortions or halos.
- Treatment for Higher-Order Aberrations: C-LASIK can correct higher-order aberrations, which are visual distortions that cannot be corrected with traditional LASIK. This can result in even sharper, clearer vision.
- Reduced Risk of Side Effects: Because Custom LASIK is more precise, it can reduce the risk of side effects like glare, halos, and night vision problems that can sometimes occur with traditional LASIK.
- Higher Patient Satisfaction: Because of the increased precision and improved outcomes, patients who undergo C-LASIK are often more satisfied with their results than those who undergo traditional LASIK.
Disadvantages Of Custom Lasik Surgery
While C-LASIK is generally safe and effective, there can be some potential disadvantages to the surgery, including:
- Cost: Custom LASIK can be more expensive than traditional LASIK or other forms of vision correction surgery, as it requires advanced technology and specialized training.
- Longer Procedure Time: The wavefront mapping technology used in Custom LASIK can add some additional time to the procedure compared to traditional LASIK.
- Potential for Complications: As with any surgical procedure, there is always a small risk of complications with Custom LASIK, including infection, dry eye, and vision changes.
- Not Suitable for Everyone: Custom LASIK may not be appropriate for all patients, particularly those with certain eye conditions or very high prescriptions.
- Recovery Time: While most patients can return to normal activities within a day or two after surgery, it can take several weeks for the eye to fully heal and for vision to stabilize.
Cost Of Custom LASIK
The cost of Custom LASIK can vary depending on several factors, including the surgeon’s experience, the location of the surgery center, and the extent of the correction needed. On average, in India, the cost of Custom LASIK ranges somewhere between 15K-25K per eye. However, some providers may offer financing options or discounts for patients who pay in full upfront. It’s important to note that while cost is a consideration, patients should choose a surgeon and facility that has a good reputation for safety, expertise, and patient satisfaction, rather than solely basing their decision on price.
How Is Custom LASIK Unique?
Custom LASIK is unique because it uses wavefront technology to create a personalized treatment plan for each patient. This advanced mapping technology creates a detailed 3D map of the patient’s cornea, identifying any irregularities and imperfections that need to be corrected.
Traditional LASIK, on the other hand, uses a standardized treatment plan that may not address all of the unique imperfections in each patient’s eye. C-LASIK’s customized treatment plan allows for more precise corrections, resulting in better visual acuity and fewer visual distortions or halos.
C-LASIK can also correct higher-order aberrations that traditional LASIK cannot correct, resulting in even sharper, clearer vision. This type of LASIK can be particularly beneficial for patients with high prescriptions or other challenging visual issues.
Overall, Custom LASIK offers patients a more personalized, precise, and effective option for correcting their vision.
C-LASIK Is Suitable For What Type Of Patients?
Custom LASIK is suitable for a wide range of patients who want vision correction with laser eye surgery. However, it may be particularly beneficial for patients with certain types of visual issues, including:
- Higher-Order Aberrations: Custom LASIK can correct higher-order aberrations, which are visual distortions that a traditional LASIK cannot correct. These aberrations can cause glare, halos, and other visual issues.
- Irregular Astigmatism: It can correct irregular astigmatism, which occurs when the cornea is not evenly curved, resulting in distorted or blurry vision.
- Thin Corneas: C-LASIK may be a good option for patients with thin corneas who may not be candidates for traditional LASIK.
- Challenging Prescriptions: This type of LASIK can correct high levels of nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism, making it a good option for patients with challenging prescriptions.
- Active Lifestyles: Custom LASIK can provide patients with clear, sharp vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses, making it a good option for those with active lifestyles or who work in environments where glasses or contacts may be impractical.
Patients need to undergo a comprehensive eye exam and consultation with an experienced eye surgeon to determine if they are a good candidate for C-LASIK or if another type of vision correction surgery would be more appropriate.
Custom LASIK is an advanced laser eye surgery that offers patients a personalized, precise, and effective way to correct their vision. Using wavefront technology, this type of LASIK creates a customized treatment plan for each patient, resulting in better visual acuity and fewer visual distortions or halos. While there are some potential disadvantages to the surgery, including cost and potential complications, many patients report high levels of satisfaction with their results. If you are interested in C-LASIK, seek help from an experienced eye surgeon to determine if it is the right option for you.
Lasik surgery is a safe 10-minute procedure to help you get rid of glasses. EyeMantra offers the most advanced LASIK options including PRK, Femto LASIK, SMILE surgery, Standard LASIK, ICL, and Contoura vision. If you have any questions on LASIK surgery in Delhi, Lasik surgery cost, and Lasik procedure, call us at 9711116605 or email at [email protected].