For millions of people worldwide, the use of corrective eyewear such as glasses or contact lenses is an everyday necessity. However, these methods of vision correction are not ideal for everyone, as they can be cumbersome and may even cause discomfort. Fortunately, advancements in technology have made it possible for people to achieve perfect vision without the need for glasses or contacts. One such advancement is Femto Lasik. In this blog, we will discuss the procedure in detail, including its advantages, risks, and possible complications. If you are considering Femto-LASIK surgery, this guide will help you understand what to expect and whether it is the right choice for you.
What Is Femto LASIK Surgery?
Femto LASIK (Femtosecond Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis) surgery is a type of laser eye surgery that is used to correct refractive errors, including nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. It uses a femtosecond laser to create a thin flap on the surface of the cornea, followed by an excimer laser to reshape the underlying corneal tissue. This results in a correction of the refractive error, which can improve the patient’s vision and reduce their dependence on glasses or contact lenses.
Procedure Of Femto LASIK Surgery
Femto-LASIK surgery is a type of laser eye surgery that uses a femtosecond laser to create a thin flap on the surface of the cornea, followed by the use of an excimer laser to reshape the underlying corneal tissue. Here is a detailed description of the Femto-LASIK procedure:
- Consultation and pre-operative assessment: Before the procedure, the patient will undergo a comprehensive eye exam to determine their suitability for Femto-LASIK surgery. This will include measurements of the corneal thickness, shape, and curvature, as well as an evaluation of the patient’s overall eye health.
- Anesthetic drops: On the day of the surgery, the patient’s eye will be numbed using anesthetic eye drops to minimize discomfort during the procedure.
- Creation of corneal flap: The surgeon will use a femtosecond laser to create a thin, hinged flap on the surface of the cornea. This allows access to the underlying corneal tissue, which will be reshaped using an excimer laser.
- Corneal reshaping: The excimer laser is used to precisely remove small amounts of corneal tissue, reshaping the curvature of the cornea to correct the patient’s vision. This step typically lasts only a few minutes.
- Flap replacement: After the corneal reshaping is complete, the surgeon will gently lift the flap back into place, where it will bond naturally to the underlying tissue without the need for stitches.
- Post-operative care: After the procedure, the patient gets instructions on how to care for their eyes as they heal. This will typically involve the use of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops, as well as avoiding strenuous activity, rubbing the eyes, and getting water in the eyes.
Who Should Go For Femto LASIK?
Femto-LASIK surgery can be a good option for people who have certain refractive errors and are looking to reduce or eliminate their dependence on glasses or contact lenses. However, not everyone is a suitable candidate for the procedure. Here are some general guidelines for who may be a good candidate for Femto-LASIK surgery:
- Age: The ideal age for Femto-LASIK surgery is typically between 18 and 40, as this is when the eyes are most stable and the prescription is less likely to change.
- Refractive errors: Femto-LASIK can effectively treat nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. Patients with these types of refractive errors may be good candidates for the procedure.
- Good overall health: Candidates for Femto-LASIK should have good overall health and no existing eye diseases or conditions that could affect the healing process.
- Stable prescription: Patients should have a stable prescription for at least one year prior to the procedure.
- Realistic expectations: Patients should have realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure and understand that it may not completely eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses in all situations.
What Are The Advantages Of Femto LASIK Surgery?
Femto-LASIK surgery has several advantages over other types of laser eye surgeries and non-surgical vision correction methods. Here are some of the key advantages:
- High precision: The use of a femtosecond laser allows for precise and accurate creation of the corneal flap, reducing the risk of complications and improving the quality of vision correction.
- Faster recovery: Compared to other types of laser eye surgeries, Femto-LASIK typically involves a shorter recovery period. Patients usually experience minimal discomfort, and vision improvement is rapid.
- Reduced risk of complications: It has a lower risk of complications such as dry eyes, corneal infections, and flap-related issues due to the precision of the femtosecond laser.
- Customizable: One can tailor this surgery to the unique needs and vision correction requirements of each patient. This allows for personalized treatment and better outcomes.
- Long-lasting results: The results of surgery are typically long-lasting, with many patients experiencing improved vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses for many years.
Overall, Femto-LASIK surgery is a safe and effective option for correcting refractive errors and improving vision.
Possible Risks And Complications
While Femto-LASIK is generally a safe and effective procedure, like any surgery, there are some risks and potential complications involved. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Dry eyes: After Femto-LASIK surgery, some patients may experience dry eyes, which can cause discomfort, blurry vision, and light sensitivity. This is usually temporary and treatable with eye drops.
- Flap-related issues: Rarely, the corneal flap created during the procedure may not heal correctly, leading to complications such as infection or scarring.
- Overcorrection or under-correction: In rare cases, the desired level of vision correction may not be achieved, leading to either overcorrection or under-correction. This may require further treatment or adjustments.
- Infection: While rare, there is a small risk of developing an infection after surgery. This can usually be treated with antibiotics, but in severe cases, it may require additional surgery.
- Night vision issues: Some patients may experience glare, halos, or other issues with night vision after the procedure.
- Other rare complications: In very rare cases, other complications may occur, such as corneal swelling, retinal detachment, or vision loss.
It’s important to discuss any concerns or potential risks with your eye surgeon before undergoing Femto-LASIK surgery. With proper screening, preparation, and postoperative care, the risk of complications can be minimized, and most patients experience a successful outcome.
Estimated Cost Of Femto LASIK
The cost of Femto-LASIK surgery can vary depending on several factors, such as the location of the clinic, the surgeon’s experience, the technology used, and the severity of the patient’s vision problem. In India, the cost of Femto LASIK surgery ranges from 1-2 Lacs INR. Some clinics may offer financing options or payment plans to help make the procedure more affordable for patients. It’s important to discuss the cost of the procedure with your eye surgeon during your consultation and ask about any potential insurance coverage or discounts that may be available.
Femto-LASIK surgery is a safe and effective way to correct vision problems and reduce dependence on glasses or contact lenses. The procedure is quick and relatively painless, with most patients experiencing a rapid improvement in their vision. However, like all medical procedures, it does carry some risks and potential complications. If you are considering Femto-LASIK surgery, it’s important to consult with an experienced eye surgeon to determine if it is right for you. They can help you understand the risks and benefits of the procedure and guide you through the entire process. Seek help and schedule a consultation to learn more.
LASIK surgery is a safe 10-minute procedure to help you get rid of glasses. EyeMantra offers the most advanced LASIK options including PRK, Femto Lasik, SMILE surgery, Standard LASIK, ICL, and Contoura vision. If you have any questions on Lasik surgery in Delhi, Lasik surgery cost, and Lasik procedure, call us at 9711116605 or email at [email protected].